Gone Fishin'

Yesterday, a previous DSW guest left me a Facebook message: "Star Wars is a still a total waste of your time." 

I couldn't agree more.


Because Star Wars is just that - something designed to waste our time in a fun way. 


However, time is precious. For the past year or so, I've debated on closing up shop on Digging Star Wars. After all, it's been a good, four-year run and maybe it's time to call it quits.


It doesn't help that LucasFilm & starwars.com launched a similar Star Wars/classic film comparison blog in 2013 based on the same  idea we rolled out in 2010. While "The Cinema Behind Star Wars" offers some unique insights and a few new films, it's pretty much rehashing the exact same catalog of films we explored prior. 


My blog is a small, mom-and-pop shop trying to compete with a big box store. It just can't be done.


And, yes, I truly am excited about The Force Awakens and, yes, this may be the worse time to pull the plug on a Star Wars-themed blog and miss out on the potential web traffic I could get with the ongoing Episode VII buzz...but...it's time.


I've learned never to say "never again" - so, instead of ending Digging Star Wars forever, I'm hanging up the GONE FISHIN' sign.



Digging Star Wars: Jurassic Park 3D episode guest and my son Peter (and one of his many catches).
I'm going to step away, explore some other creative opportunities, and mull over the idea of returning to (or reinventing) Digging Star Wars. 

Until then, I'm leaving the blog up for all to enjoy. If you're so inclined: post a comment. Tell us your favorite episode or your least favorite...and why. I always loved seeing the posts and emails come in from our listeners and followers worldwide.


Most of all, thank you for reading, listening, and supporting this blog that started as a project in a Critical Pedagogy class at West Chester University of Pennsylvania. Thanks for posting comments on any and every episode and especially when I made special episodes designed for other classes. I was never shy for asking for comments when a grade was on the line and you never let me down. 


Thanks to my many guests that brought so much to the table - not just their time and insights, but often their own studios, gear, and talents (several guests edited episodes for me or even wrote and recorded original music specifically for our audio entries).

Thanks for joining in on the fun venture that was...and will remain...Digging Star Wars.




Comments

Popular Posts